Saturday, November 1, 2008

NaNoWriMo is finally here!!

That's right, November is National Novel Writing Month. Although I've known about this little holiday for a few years I've never attempted it. I mean you have to be a die hard writer to even think you could possibly write 50,000 in a month. Of late I've been reading Jack Kerouac's journals (Windblown World) where he writes about his daily life and more important about his writings and how much he does in a day. He calls 2,000 words a day pitiful-- wow I feel achieved when I write half that in a couple of days.

But I figure this year I'll try it... with alterations. I bought a blank book and the goal is to complete it by the end of the month.

So what am I going to write about? Originally I just figured I would write on random things: my series of one acts, making Dirty Virgin into a novel, writing an update screen play of If a Man Answers. I realized that I've never really finished anything longer than twenty pages and a part of this experience is to have something completed by the end. So instead I've combined a few of my ideas into one story about 'finding love' after a divorces. I know, it kind of smells like Open House by Elizabeth Berg (great book by the way), but I'm planning on following both characters (the divorce couple) and they're search for happiness. I'm also adding in an idea I had a few years ago about a robber falling for a women due to the content of her house. But instead of a robber-- it will be a maintenance man at the apartment building she's renting from. Yep I'm writing a romance novel, folks.

So what are you writing for NaNoWritMo?
I'll be posting writing prompts that I found useful in the past or one's that I've read and thought were interesting to help you if you get a stuck.

No comments: