Friday, July 11, 2008

IMdb prior to blog date but after Sept 2007



Since the Sept competition I've seen:


Shawshank Redemption (5)
This Sleeper movie is the number one DVD buy. And it's worth it. A story that really deals with the love that only good guy friends can have for each other. A story about fighting for freedom, unfairness in the system, and inspirational tale. A must see for anyone.



Million Dollar Baby (5)
I cried my eyes out on this movie. A great tear-jerking performance from Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank. One the moving aspects of this story is how despicable Maggie's family members are and the father/daughter bound she finds with Eastwood's tough guy character.

Roman Holiday (4)
Roman Holiday is an interesting film because it doesn't have much conflict and yet it's entertaining. Don't get me wrong, Gregory Peck's does have the internal conflict of selling his story and getting the desperately needed money or keeping the princess's secret holiday under wraps. And Audrey Hepburn character has the choice of a carefree vacation or going back to her duties. Overall, a fun story is propels by the wonderful acting on Hepburn's part. A great black and white film.

Little Miss Sunshine (4)
What can I say all around great comic movie about families and what happens with broken dreams. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as when the dance scene comes up.

Batman Begins (4)
I believe this to be the best representation of Batman in films to date. The dark and grim reality completely outshines the postmodern approach that Joel Schumacher does in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Granted, Christopher Nolan has the add advantage of a more powerful story that shows the audience how Batman begins. Of course, I'm bias-- I'm a huge fan of both Christian Bale and Liam Neeson.

*Juno* (3.5)
My parents went to this movie before I did. When they got back my father told me it was a 'Dani Movie.' Now my family has a joke about 'Katina (my sister) movies,' which is pretty much an creative new approach to something that may be too artsy or shocking for my parents' tastes. But what is a Dani movie? Apparently a Dani movie is full of odd (but funny) one liners, with a sarcastic, young heroine stealing every scene she appears in. Yeah, this is a Dani show.

* Into the Wild* (3)
This movie is based on Jon Krakauer true story of Christopher McCandless (also known as Alex Supertramp) travels across the country that ends in Alaska's wilderness. Christopher is portrayed as a tragic hero and both the movie and book leads the audience to feel one of two things:
1. What a selfish waste of a life. He was completely stupid/crazy to try what he did and the only I feel is pity and sorrow for his parents.
or
2.Christopher was a great charismatic character, who was only following his own morals-- which you got to respect since we live in a society that is full of hypocrites.
either case a power piece for food for thought.

The Prestige (3)
This a good modern movie about revenge that Edmond Dantes would be proud of. However, I don't know if this movie will stand the test of time. it's an interesting enough concept but had a too simple of a solution for one problem and too difficult/far fetched for the other.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (3)
An idealistic approach on the workings of our government. This is one of Jimmy Stewart's best films-especially since his character completely embodies that of the ordinary/everyman vibe that Stewart is known for. Uplifting just like 12 Angry Men.

The Maltese Falcon (3)
this movie renewed my respect for Bogart's acting ability (since I didn't care that much for him in Casablanca). Bogart does subtle moves or tones that totally give a new life to his line. his character Sam Spade, has a difficult decision in the end and Bogart plays it out beautifully. I love May Astor beautiful, unique look in this film (although I'm sure she wouldn't be considered beautiful into today's standards. The ending, however, is anticlimactic.

The Incredibles (3)
A Brad Bird Pixar movie with a creative ideas/plot-line. I would even argue that Bird is the best director for the Pixar/cartoon genera that I've seen. I love the character Edna (voiced by Bird) which is a rough mirroring of legendary Edith Head-- one of Hollywood's first costume designer (I believe she is the first woman costume designer in film history). Actors chosen for the voices match well with their characters and their characters' alter egos (especially James Lee's Buddy/Syndrome). A definitely see for the family.

Strangers on a Train (3)
My parents own this movie for years and we never watched it. I thought it was the perfect time to watch it now. Filmed in black and white this film is about two people talking on a train about people they wished would die. One of them actually kills the other one's victim and now expects the other man to kill his. Scary and disturbing idea in general. Alfred Hitchcock once again chooses amazing shots and filming techniques to move the plot along. The opening scene is beautifully done (almost as beautiful as the opening scene in Rear Window... ALMOST) and is my favorite performance by Patrica Hitchcock to date. I remember a Danny Deveto movie that redresses up this idea and I feel that effected my viewing on this film.

Modern Times (3)
I have to admit that I appreciated this movie much better after watching the extras that accompanied it. Not only did I learn that this was the last movie The Tramp appears in, but I also learned that Chaplin purposely made this a silent film-- even through sound was available at the time. Chaplin also directed most of his movies-- something I didn't know. Extras a side, it was a good up-beat movie. Slapstick comedy at its best.

The Apartment (2)
The Apartment has a great plot setup of an employee lending his apartment out to his higher-ups and their mistresses. A surprising dark comedy with Jack Lemmon with a sweet, happy ending.

* indicates new movies added on the list since my Sept 2007 competition.

No comments: