Saturday, July 5, 2008

IMdb competition (pt.II) worth skipping movies

Out of the thirty films I watched in September 2007, these are my least favorite of them all. They are listed from favorite to least (rating is on a 5 scale):

Vertigo (2)
Vertigo flopped in theaters when it originally came out-- Hitchcock blamed it on Jimmy Stewart appearing old, and never casted Stewart again. But really the problem with the movie is a drawn-out and poor plot line. I couldn't get emotional invested with any of the characters-- and really only felt relief that it ended.

Dr. Strangelove: How I Learn To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (2)
I loved (and thought that this movies was hilarious) the first time I saw it a few years back. But, I have to admit second run through, it came up lacking.

Casablanca (2)
I was expecting something great-- come on, this is Casablanca the most 'romantic' film ever. I didn't like Bogart in this role, nor did I believe that Bergman's character had any feels for 'poor Ricky. Also, the movie is overused in modern pop culture-- the last 15 minutes of dialog is littered in today's pop culture that some how made it seem more false.

Goodfellas (2)
I watched this after the God Father movies, and well let's just say it fell short in comparison. De Niro does once again an awesome portrayal of a gangster. and the movie had an interesting scene where the main character played by Ray Liotta breaks down the fourth wall and talks straight into the camera at the end-- moving from one frozen setting to the next. Also, it was fun to see the change of style through the time periods (especially ending in the big and more era of the 80's)

Dr. Zhivago (1)
Other than a few great camera shots this film is useless. Unfocused completely to the point of distraction, I almost didn't make it through it, and I will safely say I won't even attempt to read the owned copy of its book counterpart.

Raging Bull (1)
I have no idea how this movie got on to the list. I was told that it's suppose to have wonderful cinematography-- I didn't see. The main character is loathsome and pitiful and although De Niro once again proves to me that he can do a tough guy with the best of them; his performance couldn't make up for my dislike for the whole movie in general.

No comments: