Saturday, July 5, 2008

IMdb movies competition (9/2007) MUST SEE list




What originally got me started on the top 250 list was my friend Ben and I created a competition back in September. So, of course, being the child of two very competitive individuals I had to watch a movie a day for the contest and ended up watching thirty movies for the month-- However, I watched eight of those movies in the last two days of the competition and couldn't watch anything from fine cinema to stupidly, funny movies for a good couple of weeks after that. But I've started watching them again and hopefully will have this list licked in two years.

this is my top choices of the ones I watched in September listed from favorite to least (rating is on a 5 scale):


Rear Window (5)
Everything about this movie is great. Brilliant cinematography, gripping plot, Emotionally provoking, and phenomenal acting from the leads Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewart, and Thelma Ritter are just to name a few things that make this film one of the best films ever created. From the opening scene where without any words one knows who Jimmy Stewart's character is and why he's in the situation that he is in, to the emotional nerve racking ending-- this is a must see for everyone.

Psycho (5)
This maybe the finest film I've ever seen. I was so invested into the show, I had to pause it and take a break from it because my nerves couldn't take it. Hitchcock is differently the 'King of Suspense' in my book. Great buildup and a fantastic ending-- even though you knew who the killer is due to Psycho's strong appearance in our pop culture.

The Elephant Man (5)
Amazing story about diversity and acceptance. Magnificent acting jobs on Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt parts. I think the best shot in all of Hollywood film that I've seen is when Anthony Hopkins' see the the Elephant Man for the first time. Simply Incredible. Wonderful decision on filming it in black and white to give it a older/ageless feel. And make-up so superb that it opened the door to a new category in Academy awards.

A Man of All Seasons (5)
A rousing story of Thomas More, who didn't forsake his beliefs just because his government and and friend (Kind Henry VIII) wanted him to. Thomas More intelligently avoids making any opinionated statements and through out the movie I found myself rooting for the logical and smart Thomas More. A beautiful tale on how to be political and yet keep your own values.

Hotel Rwanda (5)
A terrific movie that will pull at any one's heartstrings. This is one of those movies that you can only watch once a year, because it moves you in such away. An impressive acting performance of the worst and best of men in crisis.

North by Northwest (5)
Another great Hitchcock film with a great buildup, action, and mistaken identity. Cary Grant as always is the fun, charming, and timelessly, gorgeous gentleman. There's only one draw to this film-- it feels like it takes forever to get to the end.

2 comments:

katina said...

you know, I'm surprised you went for most of the 'older' movies as opposed to the newer movies...mostly because I think mom and dad have most of the newer movies...

Dani said...

You're right the parents own a 1/5 to a 1/4 of the list. But I figured I already saw those and they're easier to get to so I should get the harder to find ones out of the way first.
D