Saturday, August 2, 2008

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Source of recipe: Recipes: Douglas Public Library District recipe's name: Shelia's Blueberry Coffee Cake submitted by Joyce Rovetta
Food course: breakfast or bread
Quantity: 2 9 inch pans worth (16 pieces if your cutting the traditional 8 pieces per pie).


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups + 2 T sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cup well drained blueberries, canned, frozen or fresh (i found that frozen berries do better in this recipe than fresh)


Topping:
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sugar


Blend all ingredients except blueberries and tipping in mixer. beat vigorously about 1 minute. Carefully stir in blueberries. pour into greased, 9-inch, large cake pan or 8x8 inch or 9X9 inch square pan.

mix lightly the topping ingredients. sprinkle topping over batter. back in preheated 375 degree oven about 30 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.


Some side notes about this dish: first of all this dish does wonderful in the freezer so feel free to make the whole recipe and place one of the pans in the freezer for next Sunday's breakfast. If you don't have a mixer (which I don't) feel free to mix it by hand the results will not be affected by the smoothness of the batter. You may find this recipe needs a little extra flour in the batter if you're at a higher altitude; however, I ended up adding more milk to counter the extra flour I up it so play it by ear. also, the batter is not going to be like cake mix batter. It will be thicker; and when I tested it out for myself, it was cookie dough consistence-- and the end taste/texture was still perfect.

2 comments:

katina said...

You know, I made this about a month ago for a potluck we were having. I don't think it turned out very good, but for whatever reason my coworkers all thought it was great.

But then, I don't put much stock in what they say when it comes to food.

Mostly because they'll eat anything.

Anonymous said...

I full agree with you. I'm not really a fan on this coffee cake... I mean mom got rid of the banana coffee cake for this one and out of the two that's more flavorful. But the coworkers LOVED this one and I admit that using the frozen berries made it more taste then normal.